17 April 2014

Maundy Thursday...

... so called from the Latin mandatum - commandment - recalling the story when Jesus washes his disciples' feet at the Last Supper as a demonstration of the New Commandment he gives them 'to love one another': 

I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.
John 13.15

Ford Maddox Brown, Jesus Washing Peter's Feet (1852-6)

(This is my favourite painting of this story. I couldn't get a good photo of the one produced in the God for Us book, which is a 17th-century Greek icon.)


5 comments:

  1. This brings a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. Yet, it also brings joy to my heart at the love that Jesus has for each and every one of us.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful, isn't it? The care he's lavishing on Peter's feet...

      Delete
    2. Tender care for dear Peter who is like a lot of us, impulsive, full of so many emotions, wanting to do the right things. God loves us in spite of all of our wrong doing. His mercies are new every morning. His grace saves us.

      Happy Easter to you dear Claire ~ FlowerLady

      Delete
    3. I really identified with Peter when I was younger... now, hopefully more like Mary of Bethany sitting at Jesus' feet while Martha was busy (and bothered!) in the kitchen :)

      Delete
    4. Oh yes, to be more like Mary, soaking in every word Jesus said.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - I really appreciate it!
It's good to know I'm not alone :)