11 August 2014

Word for the Week

Ummm, this week's Word out of the bag of Rediscovery Cards is another one I have mixed feelings about...


I think it's because the first thing I thought of was the ghastly talent show Opportunity Knocks, which aired for years and was probably the instigator of much of today's 'get famous, get rich quick' mentality. And those entrepeneur gurus who see every friendship, every contact as a business 'opportunity'...

Then, I Googled quotes about Opportunity and found some wonderful ones, like this:

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed 
in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas Edison

Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, 
for beauty is God's handwriting.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ageing is not lost youth but a new stage of opportunity and strength
Betty Friedan

The rich raspberry background is the same colour as Support and Hope, which is interesting to me as arguably the way to make the most of any opportunity one needs both Support and Hope...

This week we await our son's A level results and we hope he's got the grades to go to uni to read Psychology. Further education is such an opportunity to meet new people and experience new things, to leave home and move onto the next stage of adulthood.

But it's not just big Life opportunities, I think of when I see this Word, as to me every moment, every breath is an opportunity to be and do the best we can in whatever situation we find ourselves today.

I'd love to know what you think of/feel when you see this week's Word :-)






3 comments:

  1. thanks for the memory jogger (not, lol) re opportunity knocks with hughie green! I remember it well, and so loved watching it when I was a child! But when I think of that show now, I almost cringe, although having said that he did discover a few good talents! I hope YOUR week is full of wonderful opportunities and gifts from the universe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your reflections as always. I regularly mean to comment but don't have time. Today I am away from work with a virus - so as well as taking the opportunity to catch up here - what I really need to do is go back to bed and rest.
    In general I find the words I have a mixed response to are the most significant for me at that time....
    Off to enjoy my unusual opportunity now to rest in the day time. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for thiss blog post

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - I really appreciate it!
It's good to know I'm not alone :)