29 April 2014

25 years ago today...


We got married in my village church, where my parents were married, where I was christened, where I used to sing in the choir...


Nick's best man Ken came over from the States with Nick's parents, grandmother and aunt and uncle. My flower girl was Eloise, the daughter of an English family who helped Nick and I meet when we were both in Kenya - he with a water charity, I with the local Bible College as a teacher.


I bought the slub silk material in Nairobi and a dear Kenyan friend, Faith, made my basic dress. Then a seamstress friend of my parents made an under-skirt with Nottingham lace and fashioned a bustle scattered with silk rosebuds. I found the lace parasol in a charity shop :-)


These are my favourite two pictures. The first we had enlarged and framed and it sits on our window sill - a tad faded after 25 years, rather like us! A group of my parents' friends surprised us with the Rolls Royce wedding car - we had planned to use a friend's car. Our wedding and honeymoon in the Lake District were planned with the grand budget of £1000 - but lack of money didn't stop us having a day to remember :-)

14 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary. Gorgeous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary to you both. It is our 25th as well this year, although we have actually been together for 35 years and loving every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations to you too Lynn. Dave and I celebrated 38 years together and 37 married on 2 April. It is so good to know that many relationships do last through all the ups and downs. x

      Delete
  3. Dear Claire - congratulations and Happy Anniversary. Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous photos, full of love full of hope, and congratualtions on your anniversary too! our wedding photos are a tad faded too having been wed now for 37 yrs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! Congratulations on your 25 years together. You both look so happy and I loved the story of your beginning. It always does my heart good hearing about long time marriages.

    Love and hugs to the both of you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary Claire! What gorgeous photos - you look absolutely radiant! So happy! Also, couldn't help noticing your husband's got very striking eyes ;-)

    The story of your dress is very interesting - very meaningful, what a beautiful creation. You look so elegant in it. Lovely to see these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary Claire! And, congrats on 25 years - that's quite the accomplishment! Great photos - love them all. And here's to at least 25 more happy years for you and your honey!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:17 pm

    Happy anniversary to you both, love your bro xxx 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary Claire :) Heidi x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:05 pm

    Happy anniversary! I like those last two pictures too. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh full on week for you then, 50th and 25th. Lovely photos. BJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Claire, I loved reading all about your dress, do you still have it? How special to have that link with Kenya. Have a very Happy Anniversary week.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Claire so beautiful, you were like a princess. I like the white parasol, did you keep it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - I really appreciate it!
It's good to know I'm not alone :)