1 September 2014

Word for the Week

I've missed a couple of these... 

First, because I scratched my eye quite badly one Sunday and simply couldn't see the screen (or much else!) for a few days :-(

Then last Monday was a Bank Holiday in the UK, and I was recovering from a really great day out at The Yorkshire Sculpture Park and the The Hepworth Gallery - scroll down to previous posts to see photos...

So here we are beginning another month(!!), and the card I pulled from the Rediscovery pack is a real goodie...



I'm sensing this may be a Word not just for this week, but for the rest of the year!
We're entering my favourite month and season, where I usually have a creative surge... It's that new-term feeling that just never leaves me - no matter how many years since I started school :-)


Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Helen Keller


A sheltered life can be a daring life as well. 
For all serious daring starts from within.
Eudora Welty

Having completed Lisa's ROOT 30-day journal project in August, I'm all fired up to dare to continue writing each day using this book...


Image from rossifox.com

... who knows what I'll learn/discover in the 30 days of September!

And I just love the fresh, bright green background of this card, with invites creative energy and action.


Daring to play with watercolours...


... with collage...


... and photography.
(Looking out of the window at The Hepworth)

Do you share my love of this time of year? That new-term burst of energy and excitement? I'd love to hear what you think when you see this Word...


UPDATE
Next Monday is the Full Vine Moon, and I've just finished reading Amy Palko's thoughts as I begin to prepare for my making my September Dreamboard next week, and I realize these words are a perfect fit for my Word for the Week...

This Vine Moon, it is time to lose your inhibitions. It is time to dance like no-one is watching. It is time to enter the fray, your voice weaving effortlessly into the chaos that surrounds you. It is time to kick off your shoes and cast to one side any self-consciousness you might feel...
Amy Palko, Bloom by Moon

In other words - it's time to be DARING ;-)

5 comments:

  1. When I went on my Opening Doors weekend last year, we had to find a word + a quotation that resonated with us...The one that I went for finally was "DARE: It's not because things are difficult that we don't dare to do them: it's because we don't dare that things are difficult."
    I'm not a "darer" by nature. I don't like the idea that things might go wrong.
    (Opening Doors: http://signedbyange.com/workshops/opening-doors-women/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That retreat looks/sounds wonderful (thanks for the link!) and I love the quote :) I'm not a darer by nature either - naturally too timid - but since the stroke and as I get older, I'm much more of the mindset, 'Heck, why not? And if it doesn't work, at least I've tried' - and I rather like it :)

      Delete
  2. Claire, LOVe this post. Fall is my favorite season so of course I love this time of year. I've always loved the Helen Keller quote. I love how you dare in your own life an, inspiration for all of us. Loved hearing Amy's words so gentle and wise. Have a lovely day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Claire, I love this post too. And you art and all the other ways you are 'Daring'. It is a continual challenge to me too, one I chose to make public by calling my business 'Dare to Blossom'! I've just found Amy's moon writings too, and will be working through them this year, lovely to know you are too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, typo crept in - should read 'and your art' of course! x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - I really appreciate it!
It's good to know I'm not alone :)