14 March 2014

First Friday in Lent

I'm not inspired by the images for today's reading in the book, so I'll show you this - which I've worn every day throughout Lent and Advent for several years. I do wear it at other times (because I like it!), but wear it 'with intention' in these two special times of the year...


It is a silver Jerusalem cross - made by a jeweller in Israel, bought online as I've never been to the Holy Land. In the centre is a bronze replica of a denarius - a Roman coin first minted about 200BC according to wikipedia...

But, for me, the significant part is on the back...


The words are from the Bible story of the widow's mite (a mite was the slang word for a denarius, which by Jesus' time had been devalued to the lowest currency, like a penny/cent)

Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few pence.
Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, 'Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything...'
Mark 12.41--44 

It reminds to always try and 'put in everything'. Sometimes, I give from my 'poverty' of time, energy, money... and at other times, I give from my wealth of the same. But, the intention is always to 'put in everything'...

13 comments:

  1. Yes! perfect - and what a lovely piece of jewelry !
    would you consider linking this to our daily Lent journeying link ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful sacred jewel! (I'll try to get such or similar)
    And this story I have loved as a child ...
    Have a great and quiet time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful post! In my widow's group we have discussed the widow giving her last two mites and this cross with the scripture on the back and your thoughts about 'putting in everything', really gets to me. Thank you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great story - relevant to everyone, whatever their beliefs - and what a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wise and wonderful intention Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's easy to give when you are rich, you don't even realize it. That's indeed not the case for the poor !

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice piece of jewelry and a reminder to give. It is easy to give when we have plenty, but not so when resources are low.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your most lovely story & photo of your necklace! So lovely and meaningful. I've never seen anything like it. I love the inspiration. It's the little things in life that matter most and may the Lord bless for sharing with everyone. It causes me to go deeper...to give more and not count the cost. God is so good and has us covered, all the time.

    Enjoy your day Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the story of the widow and her two mites! Your necklace is beautiful, front and back. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! I love the neckless too I't perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it is beautiful and so is your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful idea to wear something like that "with intention" - as a reminder, as an anchor to belief, and faith, and to actions. A thought provoking post - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. A thoughtful and thought provoking post. I know a person with a debilitating and progressive disease who enthuisiastically volunteers to do what she can. She has young children to care for too. I have to admit I have been moved to private tears on more than one occasion

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - I really appreciate it!
It's good to know I'm not alone :)